Sunday, September 20, 2015

Meet Farmer Pete and Farmer Karen!




Hello Localvores! Mrs. Bryant here to introduce to you another generous couple whose help has been vital to making this project possible.
The story behind their involvement: Years ago Karen (Mrs. Salino as the kids call her) and I  became fast friends when we helped each other teach our reading classes. From there we started collaborating on everything from lesson plans to apron making. When the Localvore idea was in the works last spring, I decided I should probably do some gardening myself since I have never grown a thing, not even a houseplant. Knowing that Karen and Pete have the kind of land suitable for this endeavor, and Pete is experienced in farming, I asked if I could try my hand at a patch on their land. Being the generous people they are, and having a passion for gardening and sustainability, they were delighted to support me.
    The morning I came over to start my seeds, a question had been circling through my mind; why do some families have gardens and others don't when it is so beneficial to have one? There must have been someone in my family history who had one--why did it stop? I told Pete is probably happened when my great grandparents immigrated from Eastern Europe and went directly to working in a factory. Pete said, "they lost the connection to the land." A simple observation on his part maybe but something worth pondering, why have many of us lost our connection to the land? How does that cause other disconnects that we are not aware of? After seeing how challenging it can be to grow a nice sized beet (mine were the size of cherry tomatoes) I realized I have become casual about grocery shopping and menu planning. I walk into a supermarket and purchase apple-sized beets with no thought  about the work behind it. Reconnecting to the land increases our appreciation for the produce available to us. Reconnecting to the land also allows for other deeper connections with people. As I harvest with the Salinos, we excitedly talk about what we have recently read in the latest issue of Modern Farmer, we spout out ideas about heirloom varieties we will try to grow next spring, and my favorite topic- what recipes can we make with what we are harvesting! Reconnecting with the land, has brought back fervor to menu planning, passion for produce, and deeper relationships.
Thank you Farmer Karen and Farmer Pete- you are giving me a different kind of education and I hope I can pass it on to the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment