Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Honey!

Hello Localvores!

Science teacher and beekeeper Andy Moore with some of his insect friends
I would like to introduce to you a very sweet sponsor of our program, Mr. Moore. But before I talk about Mr. Moore and his donation; I'd like to share about some of the reservations I had I about this entire Localvore endeavor. A week before the start of school my thoughts were escalating in anxiety, "this is an impossible feat, how can this be pulled off, what if people don't sign up, what if people do and there isn't enough..." Once Mr. Moore heard about the project, he offered to supply us with honey. My anxieties calmed because I realized, when there's a project that has a positive impact on the community, supplies find you. I also realized that this project parallels what bees do--older bees leave the hive to collect the nectar and bring it back for the younger bees to turn into honey. For this project, older folks are leaving the school to bring back what's been harvested for the younger folk to create into an energy-rich food to keep our colony going. In time, these younger ones will grow and go out to do the foraging. The most important part of this dynamic is understanding that it takes teamwork of an entire colony. The result of which is sweet and sustaining.


I asked Mr. Moore to share how he got involved with beekeeping and here is what he wrote below:
Mr. Moore maintains multiple beehives
"I learned beekeeping from a great friend of mine, Duane Waid.  Mr. Waid hired me on as an apprentice for two years (2001 and 2002).  Mr. Waid, who lives in Interlaken, NY, is an entrepreneur.  He started his own printing press and published the PennySaver from 1951 to 1976.  When he retired and sold his massive stock of printing machinery, Mr. Waid decided beekeeping would be a fun retirement project.  Mr. Waid began beekeeping in 1976, at the age of 55.  This year is also the year I was born.

By the time Mr. Waid and I had the opportunity to work together, he was into his second career pretty full time (hobbies sometimes can do this).  His generosity of time, material (he gave me all my equipment, FREE, so I could start work immediately), and counsel helped me gain the confidence to continue beekeeping on my own.

Beekeeping is by far the most incredible scientific thing I've ever been part of.  I've helped others get started, so I feel like it has been of service to many.  As the years pass in the rearview mirror, I've been at it for 15 years now.  With any luck, I will be able to continue this work for the rest of my life."

Many thanks, Mr. Moore, for your support and donations!

1 comment:

  1. I want to thank Melissa, Karen, Kathy, Dorothy, and the countless others who made today's meal a reality. It was incredible!!! It began with a marinated carrot-parsnip salad coupled with a cheese friendly slice of veggie lasagna. The closer was a warm oatmeal apple muffin topped with honey butter!!! Who knew lunch at the Doig could be THIS good!? Better get in at the ground level before demand spikes the prices. I want to buy 4 lifetime shares of every Locavore lunch to be served ad infinitum. Thank you for bringing it home like that. What a great school we are creating!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete